Cale: I think I'm going to call it... 'Bob'.
Akima: You can't call a planet 'Bob'!

Not the planet; a Bug-out Bag.
In California, we're all about The Next Big One, and those state crafted earthquake lists? Are really overwhelming. I know people who proudly show off their outdoor storage facility as part of the standard household tour, located a precise x feet away from the house with enough supplies for each person in the family to survive 2 weeks blah blah blah.
Here's what a friend had to say after going through Loma Prieta:
Don’t obsess – just pack a bag – and the [freezed dried] food is a good idea (you can always eat it on road trips). We took an old suitcase (canvas/backpack type) and started putting stuff in. I try to go through it once a year to refresh or whatever. Here’s what we have:
- Grubby clothes/jacket, including old shoes that can take a beating, and all of it be rain-repellant
- Toothbrush/paste/floss
- Toilet paper
- Washcloth/towel/soap
- Underwear
- Contacts and glasses
- Notebook and pencil
- Small first aid kit (just make it up – Ace bandages, bandaides, antibacterial stuff, etc. Aspirin, etc.); also any meds the family is taking
- Some cash
- Flashlight/batteries
- Candles/matches
After much deliberation, she settled on a plastic bucket with a garbage bag liner for a toilet and let go of obsessing over a seat.
What's missing? Water. There are a few interesting options at REI, but I admit to going into stasis when it comes to purchasing. You can live for a couple of weeks without food, but not many days without water...
No comments:
Post a Comment