Having read a number of posts recently that poignantly express disappointment / frustration in how much Def Con has grown and changed, I want to share my beyond noob experience.
We went to our first DefCon last year.
I was on a short term contract at a local PD, filling in until the new IT Director started. After the first few weeks, I came to realize many of the problem reports boiled down to malware and squirrely network issues. I traced a few nasty trojans to a couple of roaming Windows accounts that belonged to personnel who had not worked at the agency in years. I regularly worked on computers that had not been updated in over 5 years old...I was shocked.
Every night I came home, shared the latest story with my husband - and started studying. I was totally out my depth; Infosec is his thing. After a couple of months, he asked if I had any interest in going Def Con. I'm like, what's that? and then Yes!
It was a totally impulsive decision. We booked late, and stayed in the "wrong" hotel. Didn't read the FAQ, and wore Firefly brown. Brought the kid, didn't party, don't gamble, don't really like Vegas...and had SO MUCH FUN! It was like becoming a room without a roof.
We met the most amazing people! Totally got into the badge, even though no hope of "winning". Went to some really good presentations.
Watching videos is not the same. There is a vibe, an under-current, that you get standing in those dreadful lines, walking down the hallway, listening to the buzz, hanging out in the chill room. It changed how we interact, what we're interested in, what we make.
I know the conference has changed. 23 years is along time. But what you may not see, is: Def Con is what you make it. It is the essence of the badge, a multi-layered interconnected puzzle.
If part of what you value is reaching out to the disenfranchised bright creatives, expanding a community of non-conformists, those who question authority - and best practices! People who make impulsive decisions, stay up too late, and (oh god!) take things apart, this beyond noob found a path at Def Con - and is looking forward to BSidesLV and 23!
No comments:
Post a Comment