- The application of potable water to any driveway or sidewalk.
- Using potable water to water outdoor landscapes in a manner that causes runoff to adjacent property, non-irrigated areas, private and public walkways, roadways, parking lots or structures.
- Using a hose that dispenses potable water to wash a motor vehicle, unless the hose is fitted with a shut-off nozzle.
- Using potable water in a fountain or decorative water feature, unless the water is recirculated. Recycled water is not mandated, but encouraged for fountain use.
http://www.swrcb.ca.gov/publications_forms/publications/factsheets/docs/fs072914manwaterreg.pdf
Individual cities and water suppliers may have additional restrictions. For example, City of Hayward also prohibits "excessive use of water due to defective or broken plumbing or irrigation system", and "strongly" encourages residents to:
- Limit irrigation to two days per week
- Irrigate in the early morning and evening hours (between 7 pm and 7 am) to reduce evaporation
- Install water-saving fixtures and appliances
- Ensure full loads in dishwashers and clothes washing machines
Putting the nasty politics aside - the disparities between urban vs. agriculture, north vs. south, climate change vs. cycle - I maintain the only way we (humanity) are going to make it through these changing times is to nurture the urban ecosystem. Trees and plants clean the air of particulates, absorb noise pollution, and reduce the effects of the urban heat island. Making urban areas livable discourages urban sprawl.
While green lawns make me cringe, I am equally appalled by the weed infested, bare dirt springing up in our neighborhoods. It reminds me of the height of the foreclosure crisis - but these homes are not vacant.
| The soil is dead. |
The slightest breath of wind casts a fine layer of dust across neighboring gardens, choking both plants and people alike.
It will take tremendous effort - and expense - to revitalize this garden now that the soil is dead.
How to Cut Back and Have a Garden
Like the Rose Lady says, "the roses look like shit, because I dropped the drip to a trickle, but the root ball will stay alive."
Looks pretty good to me!
You can direct the water to pots, dribble on trees, and use sprayers and bubblers for the plants.
It took some effort. (My husband researched and did the design.)
The side is on a timer, in a hand-crafted covered box to protect it from the elements, and the back is manual.
I would too, except my bucket isn't big enough so the laundry machine thinks it's overflowing and doesn't drain the cycle. (Yes, a new bucket is on the list.)
You'd think the government types would be more supportive of recycling household grey water, but they are not. It is very difficult to get a permit for a residential household grey water system, and I've yet to see a City website that recommends bucket hauling for irrigation.
Please do not use grey water on plants used for growing food!
Other Ways to Conserve - Not on Government Websites
Other Ways to Conserve - Not on Government Websites
There are a few other things you can do to use less water in the house, and have more for the plants and bird bath.
Cistern: We hooked up a 50 gallon cistern to a gutter downspout back in Spring to capture what little rain may come. It's not a lot of water, but it's not going down the drain to the bay.
If you get a cistern, make certain to get mosquito pellets, or you may be growing a flock of blood suckers with your plants.
Flushing: I recently read an article in the Rossmoor Newsletter that proudly announced one resident is flushing only once a day. While truly noble, I can't help but get totally grossed-out thinking about what that 70-plus year old woman's toilet looks and smells like. Personally, I flush every 3rd pee, and always number two.
Showers: We put a clock in the shower with a timer and established a 10 minute shower per day rule - which I regularly violate, but I certainly no longer linger for 20+ minutes.
Military showers work great when sudsing and shaving. Just shut the water off until ready to rinse.
Sponge baths work when you get dirty in the garden, but already had The Shower for the day.
I know some folks bring a bucket in the shower to collect the grey water, but I'd probably kill myself tripping on it.
At the Sink: I've been turning the water off when I brush my teeth for 45 years, since my first drought. When hand washing dishes, suds, then turn the water on to rinse.
On a Final Note, or Tweet
This morning I stepped into the garden, and almost immediately the chickadees and nuthatches started calling. The bird bath was dry. Minutes after refilling the basin, the birds descended to drink and bathe, chittering and splashing, just feet away from me.
We share this planet with other creatures. It takes so little to help them, and it will fill your life with joy.
Got any other ideas? Please share...
No comments:
Post a Comment