Sunday, August 24, 2008

katydid this and katydid that

Doug found a katydid on one of the cymbidiums this morning. I thought they like to eat leaves, because I've seen cut holes where I've seen a katydid - on the camellias of all things - but wasn't sure so looked them up online. There are 1000's of species around the world in a whole array of colors, sizes and shapes - flourescent pink to bark tones and up to 4.5 inches long. Some eat snails and lizards!

I found there are two species roaming around Northern California, the Microcentrum rhombifolium and Microcentrum californicum. A member of the grasshopper and cricket family, kaydids are distinguished by antenna being longer than the body.

But I didn't find any that look like the ones in our garden until I saw a picture of a nymph angle wing. The clue is there are essentially no wings and distinct brown spots on the body. I think this one is a female because it has a hook off the abdomen.

No comments:

Post a Comment